Click here for the HHC boys basketball report for Nov. 28, 2017
Click here for the HHC girls basketball report for Nov. 28, 2017
Congrats to Players of the Week
Boys: Josh Williams, Shelbyville
The Golden Bears’ point guard scored 10 points per game and also averaged 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game, setting the table for the Shelbyville offense to score 64 ppg in two wins.
Girls: Megan Jolly, New Palestine
The junior guard had a strong all-around game for the Dragons, with 17 points, eight rebounds and five assists as NP improved to 5-0 with a 60-53 win over Perry Meridian.
Players of the Week are chosen from nominations provided by their respective coaches.
Boys news & notes
- The eight HHC schools opened play during the season’s first week, with Mt. Vernon and Shelbyville each starting 2-0. New Castle and New Palestine also won their openers on the season.
- It’s the final week before conference play begins for all teams on Dec. 8. Two teams – Delta and Pendleton Heights – will play three times this week.
- Vernon won two close games to start 2-0. Logan Smith had 16 points and nine boards. Cade Gentry added 15 and Damari Gatewood 12 in a 69-68 won over Whiteland. Gatewood had 17 points, Brandon Bell 15 and Smith 12 in a 77-73 win over Hamilton Heights.
- Zach Kuhn had a big performance Saturday for Shelbyville in a 69-63 win over Triton Central, scoring 36 points and grabbing nine boards. Brock Blackwell added 18 points. Sam Lewis had 22 points and Blackwell 18 in the Golden Bears’ 59-48 season-opening win over Rushville.
- New Palestine won its opener 49-42 over Richmond behind 17 points from Maximus Gizzi. He scored nine in the fourth quarter as NP pulled away.
- Luke Bumbalough led four New Castle scorers in double-figures with 20 points, and Mason Gillis added 18 in a 79-41 win over Blue River.
- Among other notable performances: Bobby Smith had a strong game for Yorktown in its opener, scoring 13 points against Muncie Central. Matt Turner had 20 points and six boards for Greenfield-Central against Beech Grove. Eli Pancol led three Pendleton Heights players in double-figures with 16 points and nine boards against Anderson.
Girls news & notes
- All eight teams played one game last week, with two being conference matchups. Pendleton Heights improved to 3-1 in HHC play with a 51-42 win over Shelbyville Friday. Kailyn Graham had 17 points and Aubree Dwiggins 11 boards for PH. Olivia Knarr had 16 points and eight rebounds for Shelbyville.
- Yorktown moved to 1-1 in HHC play with a 46-33 win over county rival Delta Tuesday. Elizabeth Reece had 17 points and Carley Culberson 11 points and five steals. Ellie Miller had 11 boards and four steals for Yorktown. Kassidy Dishman led Delta with 13 points and nine boards.
- New Palestine improved to 5-0 Saturday with a 60-53 win over Perry Meridian, behind Leah Seib’s 19 points and 17 points, eight boards and five assists from Megan Jolly.
- Cameron Tabor had another big night for New Castle Saturday, tallying 29 points in a 50-47 loss to Fishers. She currently ranks 13th in the state in scoring with a 24.4 ppg average.
- Three HHC matchups are on the slate for this week. Tuesday, New Palestine opens conference play at New Castle. On Saturday, Mt. Vernon will open conference play by hosting Pendleton Heights. New Palestine also hosts Delta Saturday afternoon. All eight HHC teams will have played at least one conference game by week’s end.