Congrats to Players of the Week
1/9: Cameron Tabor, New Castle: Tabor had 36 points, 11 rebounds and two assists in two Trojans victories.
1/2: Sophie Williams, Mt. Vernon: Williams had 36 points and 26 rebounds as the Marauders went 2-1 at Twin Lakes.
12/26: Carley Culberson, Yorktown: Culberson had 17 points, six assists and two steals in the Tigers’ 59-43 win over New Castle.
1/9: Logan Smith, Mt. Vernon: Smith had a big game with 34 points on 12-19 shooting, as well as six boards, in the Marauders’ 96-91 4OT win over Greenfield-Central.
1/2: Luke Bumbalough, New Castle: Bumbalough had 42 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists in two Hall of Fame Classic victories.
12/26: Mason Gillis, New Castle: Gillis had 24 points and 22 rebounds in the Trojans’ 61-49 win over Mt. Vernon.
Girls news & notes
- One HHC champion will be decided Friday when New Palestine and Pendleton Heights meet at NP. Both teams are 5-1 in conference play. The Arabians are seeking their second straight title. The Dragons are seeking their first since 1993-94. Mt. Vernon and Greenfield-Central each have a chance at the title, as both have one loss. They each play a conference game this weekend – G-C hosts New Castle Friday, MV hosts Shelbyville Saturday. The Marauders and Cougars will meet Jan. 19.
- Yorktown has won its last two conference games, most recently beating Shelbyville 44-20 Saturday. Carley Culberson led the Tigers with 13 points and Lea Alexander had 10. The Tigers also beat New Castle Dec. 23 in the only other HHC game played the last three weeks.
- Delta and Yorktown are both playing for hardware this week, as they meet in the Delaware County Tournament. Each team plays in the semifinals Wednesday, with the championship game slated for Saturday.
- New Palestine has a showcase game this week, as the Dragons face Triton Central Saturday afternoon at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Boys news & notes
- Two HHC teams brought home hardware during the holidays. On Dec. 30, New Castle won the prestigious Hall of Fame Classic on its home floor, beating Oak Hill 80-60 and Bloomington South 64-57. The Trojans remain unbeaten at 12-0, their best start since the 1996-97 team won 13 straight.
- On Saturday, the Pendleton Heights Arabians won the Madison County title, beating Anderson 74-51. PH also beat Frankton 54-50 and Alexandria 77-45 in the tourney. Damieon Warrum had 22 points on 10-of-14 shooting in the title game. Justin Shupe added 20 points. Eli Pancol had 17 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists.
- In conference action, Mt. Vernon and Greenfield-Central played a wild 4OT game, which the Marauders eventually won 96-91. Logan Smith led MV with 34 points and six rebounds, while Cade Gentry had 15. Will O’Connor had 31 points and Matt Turner 21 for G-C. Brian Long had 17 points and 10 boards.
- New Palestine moved to 2-1 in the HHC with a 63-48 victory over Delta, led by 18 points from Gavin Hausz and 16 from Maximus Gizzi. NP hit 12 3-pointers in the game. Josh Bryan scored 27 points for Delta.
- This week, Delta and Yorktown will play in the Delaware County Tournament. Three conference games are on the docket. New Castle visits Greenfield-Central and Pendleton Heights visits New Palestine Friday. On Saturday, Pendleton Heights travels to Shelbyville. New Palestine plays in a showcase game Saturday, facing Mooresville at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Standings, stats & schedule on each weekly report