Congrats to Players of the Week
Boys: Zach Kuhn, Shelbyville
Kuhn had a triple-double in the Golden Bears’ 79-59 win over Columbus East with 16 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. In the lone HHC game of the week, he tallied 22 points, seven rebounds and five assists in a 61-57 win over Pendleton Heights. He hit 14-of-24 in the two games.
Girls: Elizabeth Reece, Yorktown
Reece scored 36 points as the Tigers won the Delaware County championship with victories over Wapahani and Delta. She tallied 19 points against Wapahani and 17 against Delta.
Boys news & notes
- Weather took center stage last week, postponing two HHC games – New Castle at Greenfield-Central (to Jan. 16) and Pendleton Heights at New Palestine (to Feb. 3).
- New Castle remained No. 1 in the AP Class 3A poll for the second straight week. The Trojans played one game last week, a 78-45 Saturday win over Rushville, to improve to 13-0. Mason Gillis had 18 points and 15 rebounds.
- In the lone HHC game played last week, Shelbyville beat Pendleton Heights 61-57 to improve to 3-1 in HHC play. Zach Kuhn led four Golden Bears in double figures with 22 points. Sam and Cooper Lewis each had 12 points. Justin Shupe had 18 points. Eli Pancol had 16 points and eight boards for PH.
- Delta finished second in the Delaware County Tournament after wins over Daleville and Wes-Del and a close 53-50 loss in the title game. HHC scoring leader Josh Bryan had 71 points and 16 rebounds in the three games.
- New Palestine beat Mooresville 55-48 Saturday at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum. Gavin Hausz’s 15 points led the Dragons.
- This week’s schedule features four HHC games. Greenfield-Central and New Castle each play two – beginning Tuesday against each other at G-C. NC travels to Yorktown Friday, while G-C travels to Shelbyville Saturday. The other conference game is Wednesday, when Delta visits Pendleton Heights.
- Yorktown has a showcase game this week, traveling to the Hoosier Gym in Knightstown Saturday to face Monroe Central.
- At 50-27 (.649), HHC teams have the state’s fifth-best winning percentage in non-conference games.
Girls news & notes
- At least one HHC champ will be crowned this week and the conference picture will be much clearer. Four teams are in the title race, and two games this week feature one-loss teams meeting each other. Thursday night, Pendleton Heights visits New Palestine, with the winner claiming a piece of the HHC title. Friday night, one-loss Greenfield-Central and Mt. Vernon meet at G-C. The Cougars also face New Castle Tuesday in a conference game. The other HHC game this week features Delta traveling to Shelbyville Saturday afternoon.
- Yorktown brought hardware home with the Delaware County title. Carley Culberson scored 20 points and Elizabeth Reece 17 as the Tigers beat Delta 58-34 in Saturday’s title game. Yorktown also beat Wapahani 70-28 earlier in the week.
- New Palestine defeated 2A No. 5 Triton Central 49-36 behind 16 points and eight rebounds from Leah Seib.
- In last week’s only HHC game, Mt. Vernon beat Shelbyville 65-23 Saturday. Sophie Williams had 17 points and six rebounds. Lexi Shelton scored 16 and Sydnee Perry 14 for the Marauders.
- The IHSAA tournament draw is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday on IHSAAtv.org.
Standings, stats leaders & weekly schedules in the releases linked above