The Mt. Vernon Marauders won the 2023 Hoosier Heritage Conference girls track and field title Tuesday, May 9, beating defending champion New Palestine 124.5-121.
The Marauders won their second title in three seasons.
Four HHC records were set in the event – including two by Delta’s Nicki Southerland. She obliterated her own record in the 1,600 at 4:47.54 – 9.02 seconds faster than her record time from 2021. Southerland also beat her own record in the 800 by five seconds, running 2:10.30.
In the 300 hurdles, Ella Garvin broke the record with a time of 45.47, beating Hannah Rapp’s record of 45.70 set in 2017. In discus, New Palestine’s Sydney Miller broke the HHC record with her first throw at 139-7, beating the mark of 135-5 that had been held by Greenfield-Central’s Cara Collins for 20 years.
Southerland (800, 1600, 3200) and Garvin (100 hurdles, 300 hurdles, long jump) all won three individual events. Savannah Lake of Greenfield-Central (100, 200) was a double-winner.
- 100 meters: Savannah Lake, Greenfield-Central, 12.32
- 200 meters: Savannah Lake, Greenfield-Central, 25.55
- 400 meters: Rylee Hurst, New Palestine, 1:00.78
- 800 meters: Nicki Southerland, Delta, 2:10.30*
- 1600 meters: Nicki Southerland, Delta, 4:47.54*
- 3200 meters: Nicki Southerland, Delta, 11:51.16
- 100 hurdles: Ella Garvin, New Castle, 15.13
- 300 hurdles: Ella Garvin, New Castle, 45.57*
- 4×100 relay: Yorktown (Spangler, Bennett, Brooks, Miles), 50.666
- 4×400 relay: Yorktown (Spangler, Brooks, Bennett, Miles), 4:09.65
- 4×800 relay: Mt. Vernon (Hauser, Benz, Gale, Gasiorek), 10:14.70
- Pole vault: Riley Nielsen, Mt. Vernon, 11-0
- Discus: Sydney Miller, New Palestine, 139-7*
- Shot put: Quin Lumbley, New Palestine, 41-11
- High jump: Ella Garvin, New Castle, 5-6
- Long jump: Kendra Keesling, Delta, 17-1.75
2022 Girls Track & Field Standings
|1||New Palestine Dragons||115.33|
|4||Mt. Vernon Marauders||92.83|
|6||New Castle Trojans||64.33|
|7||Pendleton Heights Arabians||49|
|8||Shelbyville Golden Bears||26|