Players of the Week
Josh Bryan, Delta
Bryan scored 23 points in the Eagles’ 54-48 win over Shelbyville. He also had 10 rebounds and five assists in the HHC victory.
Luke Bumbalough, New Castle
Bumbalough had 25 points, four assists and five boards as NC clinched a 7-0 HHC mark with a 67-62 Tuesday win against Pendleton Heights. He followed with a double-double against Westfield.
Conference news & notes
- Class 3A No. 1 New Castle finished an undefeated run through the HHC Tuesday with a 67-62 victory over Pendleton Heights. It’s the Trojans’ second HHC title in three years. Luke Bumbalough had 25 points – including 17-of-18 from the line – in the Trojans’ win. Mason Gillis added 18 points and eight boards. Trent Miller led PH with 15 points on 10-of-16 shooting. Eli Pancol added 12 boards.
- New Castle’s 62-45 Friday win over Westfield clinched the Trojans’ first 20-win regular season in school history.
- Four teams are currently in second place at 4-3, and Mt. Vernon could make it a five-way tie with a Friday win over Yorktown. Two Friday results – Delta’s 54-48 win over Shelbyville and Mt. Vernon’s 76-66 victory over New Palestine – helped forge the tie. Josh Bryan had a double-double with 23 points and 10 boards for Delta against Shelbyville. Tyler Wilburn added nine points. Cade Gentry and Damari Gatewood each had 14 points, leading five Marauders in double figures against New Palestine. Gavin Hausz led the Dragons with 17.
- This week features the final tune-ups for the state tournament. The final conference game is Friday, when Mt. Vernon visits Yorktown.
- Other big performances for the week included New Palestine’s Gavin Hausz, who scored 22 points against Connersville and 21 in a win over Whiteland. Greenfield-Central’s Brian Long had back-to-back double-doubles, with 12 points and 13 boards against Rushville, and following with 15 points and 13 boards in a win over Avon. Luke Bumbalough of New Castle had a double-double with 16 points and 10 assists in a win over Westfield.