Players of the Week
Boys: Josh Bryan, Delta
Bryan set a school record with 10 steals and added 21 points and six rebounds in a 59-35 win over Cowan, then tallied 37 points and 11 rebounds in a 53-38 win over Bluffton. He had 20 points and eight boards in a 59-38 win over Winchester.
Girls: Lauren Landes, Pendleton Heights
Landes scored 16 points for the Arabians in a 51-39 victory over Mt. Vernon, moving PH to 4-1 in HHC play.
Boys news & notes
- HHC play begins this Friday with four conference games – including three traditional rivalries. Mt. Vernon visits Pendleton Heights, Greenfield-Central travels to New Palestine, Yorktown visits Delta and New Castle travels to Shelbyville. On Saturday, Yorktown travels to Shelbyville.
- Greenfield-Central’s victory over Perry Meridian gave coach Luke Haworth his first career varsity win. Will O’Connor scored 24 points, hitting 8-of-12 from the floor.
- Delta went 3-0 on the week, with wins over Winchester, Cowan and Bluffton. Josh Bryan had a huge weekend for the Eagles with two double-figure games.
- New Castle swept the weekend, with Luke Bumbalough scoring 28 and 22 points in wins over Hamilton Heights and Anderson.
- New Palestine is 3-0 for the first time in 21 years after beating Shenandoah 55-41 and Rushville 52-42. Matthew True had 35 points in the two games, hitting 7-of-13 from 3-point range, to lead the Dragons.
- Vernon is 4-0 for the first time in five years. MV hit 18 3-pointers in a 78-48 win over Covenant Christian, and then followed with a 56-52 win over Decatur Central. Damari Gatewood led the Marauders with 19 and 22 points, respectively, hitting 15-of-25 from the field.
- Yorktown also had a 2-0 week with wins over Alexandria and Muncie Burris, with Matt Grimes averaging 19 ppg. Shelbyville was a buzzer-beater away from a perfect week, going 1-1.
Girls news & notes
- Several HHC games are on the docket this week. Action begins Tuesday when New Palestine hosts Shelbyville. Pendleton Heights visits Delta Thursday. On Friday, two teams play boys/girls doubleheaders. Greenfield-Central visits New Palestine and New Castle travels to Shelbyville. Saturday sees Mt. Vernon host Yorktown. By week’s end, each team will have played at least two conference games.
- New Palestine, which is off to its best start since 1993-94, won its first two conference games. Megan Jolly scored 13 points in a 38-37 victory over New Castle Tuesday, while NC’s Cameron Tabor scored 14 points. On Saturday, Leah Seib’s 19 points led the Dragons to a 44-18 win over Delta.
- In the week’s other conference game, Pendleton Heights improved to 4-1 in HHC play with a 51-39 victory Saturday over Mt. Vernon.
- In other key performances last week, Ellie Miller had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds in a 43-25 victory over Guerin Catholic. Carley Culberson added 10 points and eight steals. New Castle’s Cameron Tabor had 32 points in two games, including 18 in a Thursday victory over Jay County. Greenfield-Central’s Hannah Farrell had 23 points in a 49-26 win over Lawrence Central, and followed with 20 in a loss to Hamilton Southeastern.