Click here for the HHC girls basketball report for Dec. 19, 2017
Congrats to Players of the Week
Girls: Laikyn Conner, Pendleton Heights
Conner had a pair of double-doubles in Arabian OT wins. She had 12 points and 12 boards in a 63-62 win over Lawrence Central and 18 points and 10 boards in a 57-56 win over Fishers.
Boys: Trent Miller, Pendleton Heights
Miller has become the Arabians’ closer. For the second straight Saturday, he hit a buzzer-beating game-winning 3-pointer. This time, it beat No. 7 Lawrence Central 53-50. Miller had 25 points for the Arabians in that contest.
Girls news & notes
- The HHC championship race cleared up a bit last week, with four teams in contention. New Palestine and Pendleton Heights are both 5-1 in HHC play and one will clinch at least a share of the title when they meet Jan. 12. Mt. Vernon and Greenfield-Central each have one HHC loss. The Marauders and Cougars meet Jan. 19. G-C has three conference games remaining, MV has four.
- Vernon posted a big win to put itself in the title chase last week, beating previously-unbeaten New Palestine 60-47 behind Sydnee Perry’s 21 points.
- NP responded with a 41-40 win over Yorktown on Haley Harrison’s runner in the closing seconds. Katie Herron had 13 points for NP. Leah Seib tallied 11 points and 13 boards. Elizabeth Reece led Yorktown with 16 points.
- Greenfield-Central posted two HHC wins. Katie Real had 17 points and six boards in a 51-22 Tuesday win over Shelbyville. Ryan Massey led the Golden Bears with 11 points. Jessica Farrell had 18 points and nine boards in the Cougars’ 45-30 win over Delta. Kassidy Dishman led the Eagles with nine points.
- Pendleton Heights won two OT games in non-conference play, beating Lawrence Central 63-62 and Fishers 57-56. Aubree Dwiggins hit a buzzer-beater to win against LC.
- Elizabeth Reece had 30 points in Yorktown’s 79-35 win over Mississinewa.
Boys news & notes
- Last week saw three HHC games. New Castle improved to 2-0 in conference play with a 70-55 victory over New Palestine, with Mason Gillis scoring 28 points and grabbing 10 boards. Luke Bumbalough added 21 points and nine assists. Maximus Gizzi had 21 for NP.
- Greenfield-Central improved to 1-1 in HHC play Friday with a 67-47 victory over Yorktown. Will O’Connor led four Cougars in double figures with 17 points. Matt Turner added 13. Matt Grimes led Yorktown with 20 points.
- Shelbyville moved to 2-1 in conference play Friday with a 69-57 win over Mt. Vernon. Zach Kuhn had 24 points and 10 rebounds and Brock Blackwell 20 points for the Golden Bears. Josh Williams had 16 rebounds and eight assists for Shelbyville. Logan Smith led three Marauders in double figures with 11 points.
- New Castle’s Saturday victory over Lapel gives the Trojans a 7-0 mark, the second straight year NC has started with seven straight victories.
- Delta went 2-0 on the week, including a 60-56 victory over Muncie Central Saturday that was the Eagles’ first win over their county rivals in seven years. Josh Bryan had 26 points and eight boards. Delta has won seven straight games for the first time since 2008-09.
- Pendleton Heights’ Trent Miller hit a buzzer-beater for the second straight week, beating Lawrence Central 53-50.
- HHC teams are 28-12 against non-conference foes this season. The .700 winning percentage is fourth-best in the state.
- This week is a light week, with five games scheduled. One is a conference game, as Mt. Vernon visits New Castle Friday.