Players of the Week
Girls: Hannah Farrell, Greenfield-Central
Farrell came up big in two conference victories for the Cougars, keeping G-C in contention for the league title. She had 20 points, six boards and three assists in a 44-38 victory over New Castle, then followed with 11 points, five assists and three blocks in a 46-38 win over Mt. Vernon.
Boys: Mason Gillis, New Castle
Gillis had another monster week, with 87 points and 46 rebounds in three games – averaging 29 ppg and 15.3 rpg. Gillis had 26 points and 15 boards in an HHC win over Greenfield-Central, and followed with 24 points and 11 boards against conference foe Yorktown. Saturday, he had 27 points and 20 rebounds against Central Christian in a non-conference game.
Girls news and notes
- Pendleton Heights clinched a piece of its second straight HHC title Thursday with a 44-43 victory over New Palestine. Aubree Dwiggins scored five points in the final minute to lead the Arabians to the victory. She had 14 points. Laikyn Conner had 10 points and seven rebounds. Leah Seib had nine points for NP.
- Also last week, Greenfield-Central won two conference games, beating New Castle 44-38 Tuesday. Hannah Farrell had 20 points for G-C, Cameron Tabor 18 for NC in that contest. G-C also beat Mt. Vernon 46-38 Friday behind 15 points from Katie Real and 11 from Farrell. Sophie Williams had 13 points and five boards for MV. The victories give G-C a chance to clinch a piece of the HHC title with a Tuesday win over Yorktown. There are two other HHC games on the docket this week – New Castle at Mt. Vernon Tuesday, and Delta at Mt. Vernon Thursday.
- In the other HHC game last week, Delta beat Shelbyville 49-41 Saturday. Miranda Hart had 18 points and 17 rebounds.
- Other big performances came from MV’s Williams, who had 27 points and 11 rebounds against Richmond. NC’s Tabor had 26 points in Saturday’s loss to Beech Grove.
- HHC teams learned sectional draws Sunday. PH, G-C, MV and NP all play at Connersville, with MV and G-C drawing byes. Delta and New Castle meet in the first round at Blackford, with Yorktown drawing a bye. Shelbyville meets Columbus East at East Central.
Boys news and notes
- This week’s schedule includes three HHC contests, including a showcase game. Friday night, Pendleton Heights and Greenfield-Central meet up at Bankers Life Fieldhouse as part of an evening doubleheader. Also Friday, New Palestine visits Yorktown. Saturday sees Mt. Vernon travel to Delta.
- New Castle, ranked No. 1 in Class 3A, extended its school-record winning streak to start a season to 16 with a 3-0 week. Two wins were in conference. Tuesday night, the Trojans beat Greenfield-Central 73-55 behind Luke Bumbalough’s 29 points and six assists, and 26 points and 15 rebounds from Mason Gillis. Matt Turner led G-C with 14 points. Friday, New Castle beat Yorktown 75-36. Gillis had 24 points and 11 boards. Niah Williamson added 14 points for NC. Matt Grimes led Yorktown with eight points.
- The week featured two other HHC games. Delta beat Pendleton Heights 44-43 Wednesday. Josh Bryan had 10 points and a key assist on the game-winning basket for the Eagles. Eli Pancol led PH with 16 points and five boards. On Saturday, Shelbyville beat Greenfield-Central 59-57. Brian Long had a double-double for G-C with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Turner had 15 points for the Cougars.
- Other key performances last week came from Bryan, who had 24 points in Delta’s 56-38 Saturday win over Hagerstown. Mt. Vernon’s Damari Gatewood had 21 points, a career-high eight rebounds and three assists in a 59-55 overtime loss to Hamilton Southeastern.