Congrats to Players of the Week
Boys: Matthew True, New Palestine
The junior guard had a huge weekend, hitting five first-half 3-pointers en route to 17 points in a 56-40 win over Yorktown, and following by hitting 7 of 8 from beyond the arc and tallying a career high 28 points in a 68-50 win over Perry Meridian. He also had nine assists and six steals on the weekend.
Girls: Cameron Tabor, New Castle
Tabor scored a school-record 45 points in the Trojans’ 86-66 victory over Mt. Vernon that closed the regular season. She was 16-of-21 from the floor and also dished seven assists.
Boys news & notes
- Last week saw some movement in the middle of the HHC standings, with three conference games. This week has three league contests. Thursday sees Greenfield-Central visit Delta and Pendleton Heights travel to Yorktown. On Saturday afternoon, New Palestine hosts Pendleton Heights.
- Pendleton Heights improved to 2-2 in conference play with a 61-52 win over Greenfield-Central Friday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Eli Pancol had 21 points and eight boards. Justin Shupe added 14 for the Arabians. Matt Turner led G-C with 19 points. Will O’Connor scored 16.
- New Palestine improved to 3-1 in the HHC Friday with a 56-40 win at Yorktown. Matthew True scored 17 points in a 32-8 run to start the game. Gavin Hausz scored 15 and Dylan Romine 10 for NP.
- Vernon improved to 2-3 in HHC play Saturday with a 41-32 win over Delta.
- With a 58-35 record, the HHC is sixth in the state in non-conference winning percentage.
- New Castle dropped a 61-59 decision to Carmel in a matchup of IBCA Top 10 teams. NC set a school record with 16 straight wins to start the year.
Girls news & notes
- Greenfield-Central clinched a piece of the HHC title with a 41-32 victory over Yorktown Tuesday. The Cougars share the title with Pendleton Heights, as both teams finished 6-1 in conference play this season. It’s G-C’s third HHC title – joining ones won in 2014 and 2016. It’s PH’s eighth, including the second in a row.
- G-C clinched its piece by rallying from an early deficit. Hannah Farrell scored 15 points and Katie Real 13. Addison Hill added nine rebounds. Carley Culberson had 11 points for Yorktown.
- New Castle beat Mt. Vernon 86-66 Tuesday, with Cameron Tabor scoring a school record 45 points. She also had seven assists in the contest. Alyssa Semler added 14 points on five shots. Lexi Shelton led MV with 20 points and Sydnee Perry had 14.
- Vernon clinched fourth in the HHC with a 53-40 Thursday win over Delta. Sophie Williams had 17 points and 11 boards for MV. Miranda Hart had 12 points for Delta.
- Other strong performances last week came from New Palestine’s Leah Seib, who had 20 points each in wins over Lawrence Central and Ritter. Delta’s Madison Delaney had 25 points in a loss to Monroe Central, and followed with 10 against MV.
- Sectional play begins this week with HHC teams at three sites. Four teams are at 4A Connersville, including co-champs Greenfield-Central and Pendleton Heights. G-C and Mt. Vernon drew byes. PH and New Palestine play Tuesday against Richmond and Connersville, respectively. New Castle, Delta and Yorktown are in the same half of the bracket at 3A Blackford. Shelbyville is at 4A East Central, opening against Columbus East.